Sunday, July 1

The Dilemma

I am currently facing a dilemma, regarding my accommodation during my NUS terms. There are some concerns involved and I have yet to come to a decision.
I hope that by listing out all my concerns, I can come to a conclusion to this question: Should I stay in a hostel or continue staying at home?

In no particular order of preference, here are all of them, the pros and cons, and what inner Kun Song is thinking about.

Pros:

- I can optimize my room for efficiency, with minmal usual distractions unlike noise pollution or lights out timing at home. (This is very true, but I can always work during the day and sleep early at night)

- I can enjoy a brief period of tranquillity, no TV pollution, no incessant conversations and negative remarks.
(Although it is definitely a blessing to have your family talking to one and other under one roof, it is kind of counter-productive when you’re splitting your attention between doing work and communicating with your families. When you’re ‘in the zone’, a term for being engaged in a extremely productive state, most likely you will choose work over family…but yet family still comes first, what a waste)

- I can have greater rein over my room, negating the pain of seeing a room invaded by stuff that serves no purpose.
(My room is shared among my sister and brother, their belongings, my belongings, my dad’s belongings and 3 beds. Most of the their belongings are poorly organised and my dad is a packrat. It only needs two adults in the same room to feel how crowded my room is. Zero privacy)

- I can have more flexible timing with regards to my sleeping and waking up hours.

- They say absence makes the heart fonder, I think it will help me to appreciate my family better. (But hey, I can get the same effect by visiting old folks home, this is not exactly a good excuse)

Cons:

- A minimum of $40 per week for double bed and $60 for single is very hard on the pocket, especially when you have no income. (Biggest concern) This is highly against my personal motto.

- I will need to participate in hall activities, actively. Otherwise I will not be allowed to continue my stay. (Hey, I’m only testing the hostel lifestyle out for a semester, not like I have to stay there throughout.)

- It may not feel so now, but judging from past experiences, I tend to miss my family, a lot, when I’m separated from them.

- My siblings will lack someone to push them to do their work, clean their room and study. (Actually, it not working as well as I hope it could be)

- My room will probably looks like a dump, since I’m the one doing the cleaning most of the time(Hey, you can always clean it again during the weekends, it is whether you want to spend the effort or not. It’s all in the mind bro.)

- Dad and Mum made not much suggestion to my dilemma either( Bro, iot may be their money, but it is you who will be spending 14 weeks there. You made the choices, not your parents)

- I got this recurrent feeling that it is not that necessary, due to my inner voice.(Don’t blame me, I’m only helping you to make a balance decision, you wield the ship, not me)

Basically those are what went through my mine. Sure hope I can reach a decision soon.

(Don’t hope dude, give some actions, do something on your own. I know you are just lazy to make a decision on your own. Why surrender your decision to others’ opinions? I know you’re parents are paying the bulk of the cost, but you’re 21 soon, buck up man.)

Ah…NO, no more ‘ah’s. I must come to the decision myself.

Phew, it feels so good to type everything out.

No comments: